God used the pillar of fire by night and the pillar of cloud by day to guide the Children of Israel on their way to the Promised Land. Note that one has to follow God’s guidance in order to receive the benefit of it. The pillar of fire was light to Israel, but it was darkness to the Egyptians who were trying to recapture their former slaves. In like manner the Gospel is the savor of life unto life, or of death unto death. The Stone laid in Zion “is a sure foundation,” or “a stone of stumbling,” depending upon our following or rejecting Him. See Isaiah 28:16 and 1 Peter 2:6-8.
- God led the Children of Israel through the wilderness of the Red Sea on their way to the Promised Land. Why do you think He did this, even though it was not the most direct route?
- God used a pillar of cloud and a pillar of fire to guide the Israelites. List some of the benefits of these manifestations.
- The Egyptians pursued the Israelites, wanting to capture them. What parallel might be drawn between this occurrence and the opposition a newly-delivered Christian faces?
- The Children of Israel were afraid when they saw the Egyptian army. What did Moses say (Exodus 14:13-14)? What promise does God give His followers today? See Romans 8:31.
- God divided the Red Sea after Moses stretched out his rod over it. At the point where Bible commentator, Adam Clarke, places the crossing, the water was estimated to have been more than 80 feet deep and approximately 12 miles across. The Bible says that as Moses stretched out his hand, the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong wind, and caused the ground to be dry. The people crossed over this dry ground while the waters stood as walls on either side of them. God is a God of miracles. Describe in detail how God destroyed the Egyptians.
- In 2 Samuel 5:18-25, David was confronted with two battles which seemed to be similar. After asking God’s direction, however, he found that God didn’t choose to operate in the same manner both times. To what can we attribute David’s success?
- What happens when people do not walk in the way God has revealed? Give a Biblical example to substantiate your answer.
- In Acts 16:6-10, what two means did God use to guide His missionaries?
- What one point have you learned regarding guidance? How would you encourage a person who is seeking God’s guidance?