And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the Lord God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.
— 2 Kings 2:14
- What desirable attributes do we find exhibited by Elisha when Elijah cast his mantle upon him, showing God had chosen the right man? See 1 Kings 19:19-21.
- We hear nothing more of Elisha for several years. What was he doing? Had he gone back home? See 1 Kings 19:21 and 2 Kings 3:11.
- Explain the difference between the way Elijah was followed by Elisha and by the sons of the prophets, considering they all knew he was to be taken from them that day.
- What are some of the dangers involved in following God afar off in our day?
- We find Elisha facing several discouragements, some from Elijah himself, in his quest for a double portion of the power that was manifested in Elijah’s life. What were they, and how did he overcome them?
- What similarities do we find in Elisha’s receiving a double portion of Elijah’s spirit, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit recorded in Acts 2:4?
- After Elisha received a double portion of Elijah’s spirit, what were some of the results in his life?
- What virtues does Elisha exhibit in many of the miracles he performed, including the four he performed in 2 Kings, chapters 4 and 5?