In this lesson we discuss the relationship between the members of the Body of Christ. Good relationships begin with individuals following Jesus first and then submitting to the authority of the ministry as discussed in previous lessons. When we put into practice the admonition given in our key verse, the end result is unity—oneness of spirit, aims, interests, and feelings among individuals. When this is present, we will receive God’s blessing and see much accomplished for the Lord.
- Give an example, Biblical or otherwise, where two or more worked in unity and achieved positive results.
- Define the following words as used in our key verse and text:
- We are told in Ephesians 4:2 to forbear one another in love. Give an example of how someone might need to forbear (endure or tolerate) you.
- Give an example of the coordination, or unity, that exists within your physical body. Then discus the result of a breakdown in this unity, such as a physical ailment. Finally, explain what Ephesians 4:15-16 means to you.
- Adam Clarke explains the phrase, in one accord, in this way: “It signifies that all their minds, affections, desires, and wishes, were concentrated in one object, every man having the same end in view; and, having but one desire, they had but one prayer to God, and every heart uttered it.” What are the advantages of the spiritual Body of Christ being in one accord?
- What is the difference between Christian unity and the unity in worldly organizations such as unions and political parties? With this thought in mind, what kind of statement can be made regarding the importance of maintaining Christian unity?
- In the space of thirteen verses in John 17 (verses 11-23), the need for oneness is mentioned four times. What conclusion can we draw from this passage of Scripture?
- Name five of the spiritual roles recorded in our text that Christ gave to men, and explain why He gave them.
- How is it possible to have spiritual unity among individuals with diverse personalities, backgrounds, and preferences?
- If a person finds himself in a situation where his unity with another is being threatened, what should he do?